Monday, June 29, 2009

Okay, That Didn't Feel Like Bollywood, But...Pukar (2000)



Watching Pukar was, for me, a little bit like watching a "pretty good" Hollywood drama from the early 90s or so. The acting was better than decent, there was an all star-cast, and the story unfolded at a reasonable pace. That's not a bad thing, and apparently worked to its advantage; the film walked away with two national film awards and a boatload of other nominations, including Best Actor for Anil Kapoor (right on!) and Best Actress for Madhuri Dixit (yeah!).

It was strange; On the one hand, I found the story of Major Jaidev Rajvansh, a well-respected and admired officer of the Indian army who is horribly betrayed by somebody closest to him, incredibly absorbing and well-portrayed by a strong all-star cast. On the other, I found Pukar sort of dull. Where was the color? Where was the creativity in the song picturizations? My inner masala child desperately wanted to know.



Anil Kapoor, looking dashing in an army suit (quite the change from the Micheal Jackson white-sock look he sported in the last film I saw him in, Mann), plays Jai, an Army officer on a short return visit to his hometown. Madhuri Dixit is Anjali, Jai's childhood friend who also happens to be in love with him, something that is clear to everyone but Jai himself. Or is it? In the beginning of the film, its hard to determine whether Jai is simply ignorant to Anjali's feelings or if he just doesn't give a care.

Either way, the whole town(including Jai's parents) seems to share the same opinion-- Anjali's so gorgeous and such a natural on the dance floor, there's no way she's not going to snag him, right? I mean, it's have to be MISS INDIA walking through the door for Jai to turn his head the other way...



Which, of course, is exactly what happens. Jai meets Pooja(Namrata Shirodkar), a.k.a. the current Miss India, and is instantly hooked. He spends most of his time trying to convince her and her parents, who are adamantly against Princess Pooja marrying an army officer, that the two should be married. The rest of his time is spent dodging Anjali whenever possible, unless she is needed for moral support (or lunch--grrr!).

After an embarrassing encounter between Jai, Pooja, and herself, Anjali is approached by a crooked man who works for a sinister terrorist named Abhrush (played by Danny Denzongpa, scarrry looking!!). In desperation, Anjali strikes a deal with said crooked man and sells her soul to the devil, so to speak, in one of the most messed up betrayals I've ever seen.



But man, it was so satisfying to watch. Things horribly backfire--no spoilers here, I'm sure you could guess that they would, and I've only just taken you into the real story--but its the characters and how their lives are affected by this one event that makes Pukar interesting. As you can see, Jai's far from a likable character in the first half of the film. Which ends up really working to the film's advantage--at first, you're like, yeah, stick it to him, Anjali! But then the second half rolls around and you get to thinking. Poor Jai. Poor unfortunate, circumstantially abused Jai (Did they really have to rip his army uniform to shreds--WHILE HE WAS STILL WEARING IT?!?)!

This is a prime example of another one of the film's strengths--the characters were so human! You loved them, you hated them, you forgave them. Even Pooja showed us Miss India could be one heartless witch!

But, ahh, did I mention how refreshing it was to see Madhuri in a role that gave her not only more to do than dazzle and dance, but also required her actions to be a pivotal piece in the plot?! I was elated! Yes, I know Mads is brimming with awesomeness, and she has to little but flash a smile and float across the dancefloor to show she's the whole package, but...she can also really act!! Note to directors---Use her!! (A moot point, it seems, since she's sort of "retired", and I realize I haven't seen enough of her films to solidify this opinion, but I love her so much to let her talent pass me by without mentioning it).



This was my first Anil/Madhuri film, and I realize, given the story, that it may not have been the most popular choice to start with. Because they were already an established pair in Bollywood, I'm guessing that most of Pukar's initial audiences were invested in Jai and Anjali ending up together from the very beginning. But not me--they had to really sell it to me. Which they did, thanks to their commanding screen presences and oodles of talent (there's a very heated argument/exchange/revelation between the two of them in the second half that literally gave me goose bumps, it was so emotionally charged).

The supporting cast was strong, including Om Puri, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, and Farida Jalal (as maa--yes!!). Most characters were given enough screen time to establish their presence in the film, but there should have been wayy more of Jai's parents, especially given the powerful encounter that follows this screenshot:



But alas, onto the negatives, of which were significant enough to mention. As I said above, there just wasn't enough creativity from a visual aspect. A dash of color or masala madness would have done the trick; After all, music was by A.R. Rahman! Yet most of the good songs seemed wasted against ho-drum deserts and waterfalls (which I normally love, as long as the settings and outfits change during the song picturizations, barely done here). The exception, of course, is "Kay Sera Sera" (Que Sera Sera?), a tune whose brilliance was done justice by Madhuri's vibrant facial expressions and graceful dance moves (along with a cameo by Prabhu Deva).



Since I expected to dislike this film (after I heard someone call it Puke-kar, lol, and you know who you are ;)), I was happily surprised to find it, for the most part, watchable, if a bit bland. Next up in Anil/Mads territory? Beta, a film I know next to nothing about and bought on a whim. Any other recommendations? I'll take 'em!

35 comments:

Bobby Sing June 30, 2009 at 4:36 AM  

Hi Nida,

Loved reading your reviews.

Would like to introduce myslef as an avid bollywood lover and blogger on the same.

I invite you to my website which has loads of info on Bollywood movies, music and even more.

Its www.bobbytalkscinema.com

You have to visit it once to see the work and serious researches being done there.

Frankly speaking i would like you to help me reach more similar minds by adding my site in your Blogroll as that will be really great.

And i will be waiting for you comments on my site and works.
Cheers!

with warm wishes,
Bobby Sing

lapetitediva June 30, 2009 at 5:12 AM  

Aside from the "Dhak Dhak Dil Karne Laga" song, I thought Beta was pretty dumb. Madhuri looked great and acted well, but the rest of the movie was "eh" for me.

The only other movie I have with the Anil-Madhuri combo is Tezaab, which was pretty good, but my disc froze in the middle of it.

I really liked Madhuri in Anjaam. It was the film in which I finally saw what the fuss was about. It starts off fairly light-hearted, then takes a sudden turn, and the second half feels like an entirely different movie altogether, but I loved the ending, and I loved Madhuri's performance.

memsaab June 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Try Parinda, a film by Vinod Chopra. It's very very good (I don't like gangster films generally, but Parinda is a classic I think). Anil and Madhuri are paired, and it has Jackie Shroff too in an excellent role.

:-)

ajnabi June 30, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

The PPCC loves the Anil-Madz jodi. I would totally love to see both of them together again. That's what they should've done for her "comeback."

Bobby Sing June 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Hi,
Madhuri looked most stunning ever in two movies in her entire career.

Those were :

1. Raajkumar & 2. Khalnayak

You have to see the above to chek my statement.
Apart from the above two another one which is only worth watching for just Madhuri alone is "Gajgamini"

Your comments awaited eagerly..

Nida June 30, 2009 at 6:56 PM  

Bobby Sing-- Thanks for stopping by and great blog! I've added you to my blogroll. Thank you for the Mads recommendations! Will purchase them on my next shopping spree.

Lapetitediva--Grr, thats sooo frustrating when your DVD freezes! And it always seems to be on the films you're really enjoying, doesn't it? Will add Tezaab and Anjaam to my list. But aww, too bad about Beta. I was really looking forward to it after seeing Anil/Mads in this one. Will still watch it (since I own it) but not tonight...

Memsaab--Thank you! Parinda sounds really good; Gangster movies aren't really my thing, either, but sometimes they surprise me (Like "Bronx Tale").

Ajnabi--Word! That would've kicked butt, esp since it seems like they were a beloved pair in the 90s, and fans would have probably accepted them reuniting onscreen. What film would you have chosen for them?

Queenie July 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

Oh, wow I just found your blog and I'm planning to spend the evening going back over your past posts! It's so great to find another B'wood lover in the neighborhood (sorta). I've been feeling so alone here in Racine!
Great to know there is someone else out there who shares my fetish for all things Bolly.

Nida July 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Queenie--Aww, thank you! That's awesome--Racine's so close! Do let me know what you think of the posts and drop your comments :) Thanks for stopping by.

Darshit July 3, 2009 at 4:40 AM  

I think the songs were picturised very beautifully. Especially the gorgeous 'Kismat se Tum'. Madhuri in chifon sarree is heaven...

Also you can check out anil/mads in "Jamai Raja". Its a fun movie and both have good chemistry at fun.

bollyviewer July 10, 2009 at 11:38 AM  

The Kay sara sara number is one of the awesomest Madz number ever (and she has quite a few of them) and was the only thing that got me through the movie. The whole drama about ripping off Anil's uniform was seriously off-putting as was his realisation that he loved her - she went to all the trouble of betraying him (and getting him branded a traitor and dishonorably discharged from the army), how could he not be convinced of the strength of her love?!!

The only one of Anil-Madhuri starrers that I really liked was Khel - a Bollywood remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Its a fun comedy that does get a bit OTT and slapstick, but is still pretty watchable. And Madz did get to show her acting chops in one quasi-parallel film - Mrityudand. She was simply awesome there.

dyana August 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
dyana
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

dyana August 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....

___________________
dyana
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

shreya August 23, 2009 at 1:57 AM  

hey guys watch the exclusive new promos and official trailers of the new movie on the block Aagey se Right starring Shreyas Talpade and Kay Kay Menon..log onto http://gunontherun.com/

Anonymous,  April 27, 2010 at 5:38 AM  

hi madhuri...i m a big fan of urs since ma childhood...i hv a grt collection of pics....ur pics r everywhre at ma home till date.....nobody can change those pics...hey my dream is to meet with u...bt i tnk this dream will be a deream....tell me the way to make it real.
regards Aarti Sharma
jalandhar punjab
lovvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuu
alllllllloooooootttttttttttt.

The Chi Lites Son Darren July 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

The Exploitation of Legendary Black and Minority Entertainers New Film are Oprah Winfery Show Project. Darren Cubie Son of Creadel Jones A Fellow singer and Friend and business associate the Chi Lites and legendary Black ntertainers needs your help and involvement and cooperation with the death of my father Creadel Jones and his wife Deborah Jones and Assistance with Helping Bring The Family of my father Creadel Jones together For a In deep resolution in the issue are matter involving my father Creadel Jones and our family and the untimely death of my father Creadel Jones do to Legacy Exstorion And Exploitation are Abuse And The of Black Pioneers are Enterainment black icons. The death of my father Creadel Jones was under exploitive conditions and poverty conditions that not only affected my father Creadel Jones but also me and my father’s family.



Recently information from the internet and News has and was presented on the sites over the internet and seen displayed on the web and sites music and others. The story presented on the web was the best information available and filled under the story involving my father Creadel Jones and Black Entertainment Pioneers my family the real family story concerning my father Creadel Jones I wish to deal with the under standing of the Story and the explanation for your involvement are lack of involvement from media and entertainment industry concerning the death and exploitation of my father Creadel Jones and black entertainment icons So I along with I and my father’s family and children would like to call for a formal in deep meeting on my father Creadel Jones and all issues involving my father’s And I and our family’s question are concerns with the death of my father Creadel Jones and the abuse of the Chi Lites music from my father Creadel Jones work and legendaryblack and minority Pioneers icons in entertainment with you and my family and father’s legacy in order to bring closer and to stop abuse and exploitation to I and my father’s legacy.



I hope you will honor your verbal agreement stating your interest in helping Legendary Entertainers with movies and your Industry stop legacy exstrotion and exploitation to me and my family and black pioneers it could bring me anf our family legacy and us icons out poverty and financial hardship do to music abuse. By keeping your agreement to help with having the story of my father Creadel Jones on the Oprah Winfery Show as entertainment story on the legacy’s of legendary entertainers that die in poverty and have legacy abuse and who have families that are left in poverty from this>



The Chi Lites legacy is very important to me and to my father’s Creadel Jones family and to you I am sure So Let’s Work together to resolve the abuse and fix he maunder standing of my father’s Creadel Jones and our legacy in efforts to bring the family together resolve poverty and exploitation and misunderstanding with I and my family Creadel Jones from the music group the Chi Lites and our legacy. I encourage you to read not only what I have stated in my site but what my father families have wrote on the Chi Lites forum under Chi Lites Creadel Jones Died From Mistreatment , Chi Lites Creadel Jones And Isaac Hayes Let’s get this fixed and sorted out asp!!!!!!!!!



Contact me at ChiLitesContact@yahoo.com and ChiLitesLegacy@yahoo.com http:://www.ChiLites.Ning.Com

rahul August 9, 2010 at 4:51 AM  

i like anil kapoor acting.and also madhuri dance in pukar.
pukar film

Thesis Writing January 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM  

Excellent Blog! I really admire your thinking and the way you have put these information in this post. Thanks for sharing an informative post.

India Pictures February 6, 2011 at 7:43 AM  

you’ve got great elements there and I do like how you encourage the readers to take the time to think.

Cosmetic surgery March 11, 2011 at 2:58 AM  

I have enjoyed reading. .Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic.

car wallpapers March 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM  

The words “I LOVE YOU” meens more than money itself.
You can be in love, or you can love. One is foolish, one is dangerous.
One is worth it.

Free Softwares March 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM  

Good advice costs nothing and is worth the price.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.

Migi Mega Entertainment March 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM  

War does not decide who�s wrong or right, it decides who’s left.
1. we do not quit playing because we grow old we grow old because we quit playing.
2.don’t take life so seriously no one ever makes it out alive.
3.Confucius says he who licks knife eats with forked toung.
4.when faced with over whelming evidence deny deny deny.
5.money doesn’t buy you happiness but it makes your misery more comfortable.
6.be kind to your enemies they HATE it.
7.make love not war co*doms are cheaper then guns.

Property Investment Advice August 7, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

Cheap wedding dresses October 11, 2011 at 2:47 AM  

Very happy to see your article, I very much to like and agree with your point of view. Thank you for sharing. At the same time,i love best pram very much .Welcome to look at my website and blog articles.Hope we can become good friends, and exchange and to help each other! Thanks!!

Anonymous,  December 12, 2011 at 2:51 AM  

cheap goose jackets sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
goose trillium parka jackets womens online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada goose freestyle vest online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Goose Chilliwack Bomber online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Mens Citadel Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Expedition Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Mens goose snow mantra parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Yorkville Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Chilliwack Parka jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Expedition Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Kensington Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Montebello Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Solaris Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK.

Hair Transplant in turkey March 14, 2012 at 2:25 AM  

Comments made ??about the issues impressed me. I like your site.
fue saç ekimi fiyatları

Algevis March 21, 2012 at 8:35 AM  

A very nice page. I think the effort has passed, we have to thank you:))
Estetik Diş Doktoru

Pop Neo August 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM  

Obtaining a retail evening dresses on sale prom dresses on sale outlet that provides the fantasy bridal dress is a lot easier than ever thanks to these web sites that found on-line lists from the dresses made available available for sale.
We offer wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, beach wedding dresses,my friends welcome to visit and see!
wedding dresses

Op Dr Ali Mezdeği November 28, 2012 at 6:04 AM  

Site's character and a great color match .. I will recommend your site to the other platforms.Saç Ekimi

Become Ordained Online September 30, 2013 at 3:16 AM  

I found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able.I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well.

website development company October 21, 2013 at 5:13 AM  

I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

Unknown October 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM  

Good advice costs nothing and is worth the price.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.Jinekomasti ameliyatı

babu biswas December 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM  

Anil Kapoor is a Evergreen Actor for Bollywood.I like him very much.Pukar is a beautiful movie.Madhuri Dixit also a Talented & Best Actress for Bollywood.I watch this movie many times for Anil and Madhuri.

bollywood movies June 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM  

Pukar (2000) was a fabulous movie,
anil kapoor always did best performance
thanks for sharing

bollywood latest movies | bollywood movies

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP