Friday, July 18, 2008

Kismat Konnection

I just returned from the opening show of Kismat Konnection starring Vidya Balan and Shahrukh Khan...oops, I mean Shahid Kapoor.



I have an announcement to make to Aziz Mirza, and any other Bollywood director who plans on casting Shahid Kapoor in the future: Shahid Kapoor is not Shahrukh Khan. He will never be Shahrukh Khan. He is Shahid Kapoor. And I like him just the way he is--when he is doing his own thing, like he was in Jab We Met and Vivah.

I mean, really, it was quite obvious that Mizra was trying to mold Shahid into "The Next Shahrukh Khan" in Kismat Konnection. Raj (yes, his name was Raj) had it all-- He made the same facial expressions and hand gestures. The tone of his voice was eerily similar. He even a Shahrukh-esque hairstyle. And to top it all off, King Khan himself opened the movie in a typical Bollywood narrative--as if to "pass the torch". Come on, people!



Shahid Kapoor looked completely out of his element in this comedic role. But then again, he was playing a part that was written for someone else--Shahrukh Khan. Aziz Mizra, who cast Shahrukh in previous films, said he did not ask him to play the lead in Kismat Konnection because he is getting to old for this type of thing. But Mizra apparently forgot that fact when making his film.

What's ironic about all of this is I believe Shahid has the possibility to become a very, very successful hero in Indian cinema--like Shahrukh Khan has--as long as he is himself. But this is not the answer. After all, Shahrukh Khan didn't climb his way to the top by emulating Amitabh Bachchan, did he?

But let me get to Kismat Konnection, which could have made me overlook all of that had it been a worthwhile film. Unfortunately--and it pains me to say this, because I was so excited--it was not.

The story has the basic rom-com sketch, minus anything special to grab ahold of you. Boy is having career problems and meets Girl. Boy uses Girl because she somehow holds the key to him getting a promotion or deal at work. In the process, Boy falls in love with Girl. Boy realizes he has to come clean with Girl before she finds out on her own of his deception. Sound familiar? I'm sure you can guess the outcome.



Sure, the whole "good luck charm" idea is a fresh little twist, but its not explored in great enough detail to make you care.

I took my three year old daughter to see this with me, and she kept acting up in the movie theater. But by the time intermission rolled around, I didn't mind the distraction. I realize I may have enjoyed the film a little more had I went by myself--But I honestly doubt it.

At the risk of sounding too filmi-wannabee, I'll say that, for me, a major weakness of the film was a lack of chemistry between the two leads. Vidya looked positively wooden in most of her light-hearted scenes with her costar, especially when she smiled. Maybe she was nervous--it seems like she's got a little crush on Shahid in real life (Get in line, Sister). But as for the film, I got nothing. There wasn't even enough written in the script for me to believe these two were falling for each other.

This was a huge disappointment, because I really wanted Shahid and Vidya to light the screen on fire, particularly for Vidya's sake. She sounded so excited about her onscreen jodi with Shahid in the interviews I'd read, and I really wanted her to have her moment where she could prove her critics wrong. Seriously, it seems like someone is always picking on her dancing, her fashion sense, her weight, and her lack of chemistry with her costars. And where the latter is concerned, this time, there was none.

As for her dancing and fashion sense, I just know Vidya's going to get heat for this. Some of her outfits were awful, and she looked really uncomfortable in her dance sequences (particularly the very last song). I think Vidya's a fine actress, but maybe, like Shahid, her role just wasn't suited for her.



And, speaking of the music, the songs in Kismat Konnection even failed to gain the attention of my three year old. Some of the visuals were cool, but...nothing too memorable.

The brightest spot in my experience at the theater today was a preview for a film about supermodels called Fashion starring Priyanka Chopra. It looks like it could be the ideal role for her--perhaps this will be her moment to prove she is more than just a pretty face. Or maybe it'll just be another Laaga Chunari Mein Daag...all glitter, no substance.

Well, it seems to be my kismet that every time I see a film on opening day its a letdown. Maybe next time I'll wait a day or two. Or maybe I need to find my own "good luck charm". Clearly, it's not my daughter...and it's not Shahid or Vidya!

Text © 2008 Nida Nazir Bitten By Bollywood

18 comments:

ajnabi July 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM  

Oh, ACK. That is sooooo disappointing! Well, I hope Shahid learns a lesson from it, and that BW writers write more parts for his type of hero. Because he is sooo not SRK. (I really can't believe they did that. What the heck.)

Reema July 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM  

Aww man. I was really hoping it would be a good movie. I'll watch it anyway because of Shahid, but :(

bollyviewer July 18, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

Sounds like a re-hash of Yes Boss. I was hoping for something better, too. But what the heck... will watch anyway for Vidya Balan and if I go with low expectations I may not dislike it too much!

Nicki July 19, 2008 at 7:06 AM  

Thanks for the review. I was looking forward to it too.

BTW - love your blog. Adding it to blog roll

Ipshi July 20, 2008 at 4:50 AM  

Hey nida,
guess this'll make u really jealous but i just met Shahid (i have a little-girl crush on him too) and hes sooooooo hot! omg, i almost was drooling all over him! and oh yes, i hated the movie too, especially since the whole concept of a rom-com falls flat when the lead pair doesnt look like they're a romantic pair at all!

theBollywoodFan July 20, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

Thanks for your review, Nida. I'll wait for the DVD, and my approach will be similar to Bollyviewer's.

I hope Vidya realizes that the Heyy Babyy and Kismat Konnection type roles don't let her be who she really is. As her big fan, I would much rather see her in films like Parineeta, Lage Raho Munnabhai, Salaam-e-Ishq, Bhool Bhulaiyaa, Guru, and Eklavya, etc. Each of those performances demanded a lot, and she delivered superbly. She's also quite sensational in classical dance, and I wasn't too thrilled to see her in the inverse.

Here's to more Vidya-centric films!

Nida July 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM  

Sorry this took so long to get back, but I couldn't get online! Anyways, I hated to be the bearer of bad news to everybody, but...oh, it was just such a dissapointment! :( I think i may have enjoyed it more had it focused more on the love story than the business stuff surrounding Raj's career. By the middle of the film, you're just like, Enough already...

Ajnabi,

Believe me, I was in shock myself. It was literally the opening scene when I noticed the SRK-copycat stuff. It was glaringly obvious! But you're right, I hope Shahid chooses more roles which set him apart, because I just think he is so awesome on his own!

Reema,

I was really excited for this one..You may still like it, because it has a lot of Shahid, much more so than Vidya. And he's still so hot, especially in the songs :)

Bollyviewer,

I agree--if you go in expecting the worst you might actually like it. As a matter of fact, its not what I would call an "awful film"--but a letdown nonetheless.

Nicki,

Thank you! I just discovered your blog--very cool( I love the title)! Will add you to my blogroll as well!

Ipshi,
Ahh, someone who's seen the film! You know, when I wrote this review I was completely untainted by anybody else's opinion, as I hadn't read any other reviews on it. But now, it appears to be the consensus that it was a flop...And yes, I AM super jealous!! Where did you see him? Did you get to talk to him, or did you just get to drool from afar? Either way, You're so lucky!

Bollywood Fan,

I totally agree with you! I haven't seen Parineeta yet (but I own it and it is on my pile to watch), but I can tell from the few Vidya films I've seen that she is a very intense, talented actress...and sometimes the comedic roles just don't work for crafted actors/actresses like that. In my humble opiniomn.;)

Manju,  July 21, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

Hello Nida,
Came by your blog accidentally. I'm glad that you were bitten by the Bollywood bug, while I admit that my love affair with B'wood comes and goes.
I really want to watch KK since I sort of have a small crush on Shahid also:)
Since you're new to B'wood and still being introduced to Who's Who in the industry, I should mention that Sridevi was a popular actress in the 80's and 90's. I personally loved her style of acting. If you want to check her out, some of her more popular movies are Chandni, Sadma, Chaalbaaz, Lamhe, and Mr.India.
Hope to drop by often,
Manju

Ipshi July 22, 2008 at 3:36 AM  

Im a writer with the bollywood team of a mainstream tabloid in Mumbai so i got to interview him.. and blush blush, i was all pink while i was talking to him... he smiled at me and everything

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat July 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

ooh thats sad- but thanks for saving me from watching it! :D

Nida July 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

Ipshi,

Lucky! Thanks for sharing though, how exciting! And let me know if your job is ever hiring ;)

Shweta,

I'm glad I saved you from an unecessary trip to the theater, BUT I'm(selfishly) going to miss your review on this one! I'm sure it would have been fun to compare thoughts...oh, well, there's always DVDS(but don't waste your time on that either, in this case).

Zehra,  July 25, 2008 at 4:48 AM  

Awww really?

I was hoping that it would be a fun movie. But well, what do you expect when you have Vidya?!?! I don't know for some reason I don't like her much, even though she does seem to have a very likable personality. Though I adored her in Guru to no ends...

Anyway, I'm going to go watch it today with my the girls (my sisters and a cousin). Because getting to watch Hindi films is such a rarity here in Karachi, Pakistan, so I'm very sure we'll enjoy it! =]

Also thanks alot for taking out time and writing for us. Really appreciated! And I hope that you continue to do so.

I was running through your archives and found the one written on Cheeni Kum extremely entertaining. I'll try to read all of them.

Love to your daughter! Regards to your family.

Zehra

Nida July 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM  

Zehra,

Well I'm sure you've seen the film by now--and I'm sure you had a great time! My family is from Karachi, also, and so I know any Hindi film outing is a treat. I'm sure I could have enjoyed this film if I went with people I love, if not for the film itself but for the experience.

Thank you for the compliment! I love when my readers introduce themselves. It really motivates me to keep on writing!:) If you do get to read all of the reviews, feel free to write your feedback on them. It would be very cool to get an opinion from someone who lives in Pakistan, given the fact that Hindi films aren't showcased there as they are in India.

Nice to meet you and welcome!

Zehra,  July 30, 2008 at 2:07 AM  

Hey Nida,

Wow! Thanks alot for hitting back :) Yeah we did go see it and had a lot of fun. The movie was enjoyable and Shahid proved to be a real eye candy :$

Though I was disappointed in Vidya's pereformance, anyhow had to bear it with her. But the moment Atif's song 'Bakhuda Tumhi Ho' started playing the place became alive. I know this is favoritism, but let it be that was the best part of the whole movie.

Even 'Love Story 2050' is playing here but I don't think so we'll go watch that. I'm not a big fan of Priyanka you see, don't know but I dont enjoy watching her.

Anyway among the coming attractions is 'Singh Is Kinng'. Imagine Akshay Kumar on a big screen!!! The wait is agonizing :D :P

Thanks alot for taking out time and writing for us. Really appreciated! And I hope that you continue to do so.

Love to your daughter! Regards to your family.

Zehra

dubbagol August 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

Hi,

Its us again...and we want to say this review is even better than the last one we just read !!!

Very interesting read !!

Happy Dubbagoling !!

The Dubbagol Team

Nida August 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

Dubbagol Team,

Thank you for the compliment! I wanted to write this one as soon as I got home from the theater so as to spare some readers from paying $8+ to see it...

Anonymous,  May 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

I don't know if u've watched parineeta or not (starring saif ali khan and vidya in her debut role in hindi cinema). Vidya was superb in the movie. and the movie itself was wonderful.

Anonymous,  December 12, 2011 at 2:52 AM  

cheap goose jackets sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
goose trillium parka jackets womens online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada goose freestyle vest online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Goose Chilliwack Bomber online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Mens Citadel Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Expedition Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Mens goose snow mantra parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Yorkville Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Chilliwack Parka jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Expedition Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Kensington Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Montebello Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Solaris Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP