Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jab We Met


Dear Kareena Kapoor,

I owe you an apology.

Frankly, I never liked you very much. I really don't know why. It could have been the way you and SRK pawed at each other in that dreadful hotel scene in Don. Or maybe it was the voice in the back of my head during Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham that kept shouting, "Paris Hilton!" every time you were onscreen. Or perhaps I thought you were arrogant after reading some comments you made about your peers on Bollywhat.com.
Whatever the case was, one thing was clear- you were not one of my favorite actresses.

Until I saw Jab We Met, a darling romantic comedy that delighted me from beginning to end. This movie made me realize I was wrong. How foolish I was to judge you off of two performances and some quotes about Salman Khan (who I happen to also think can't really act)!


You were awesome as Geet! I didn't know you had it in you, Bebo! I could learn to love you like this. You were spunky, witty, adorable, full of life... You even did a good job at fake-crying! And your au naturale look really showed off your hidden gorgeousness. For the first time I didn't think about the Paris Hilton thing!

Bravo, Kareena. Thank you (and mostly your production crew) for giving us a romantic comedy that doesn't consist of the two leads hopping into bed together and falling in love later (if ever). Pay attention, Hollywood...


And although I may be making a hasty decision here based off of one viewing, I'm going to say this next comment anyways: Forget the mild similarities to Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. I liked this movie even better than DDLJ.

If it wouldn't be too awkward for you (Because let's not kid ourselves, we've all read the stories), please pass this message onto your costar: His portrayal of Aditya was just as memorable. This character was exactly what I would want in a man. The guy had just been dumped, and may have moped around for most of the beginning, but he dropped his baggage in a flash once he saw what a gem Geet was. He never said to her, "Well, I've just been through a lot, so I need some time to heal before jumping into anything serious". No. He wasn't going to let this one get away. And I appreciated that there was no cliched "resurfacing" of his ex towards the end, forcing him to choose between her and Geet. In fact, she was never mentioned again after the love story started to kick in. Aditya was falling for Geet, and never once looked back at the woman who had left him. He never made her feel like she would be second best. Whoo-hoo! Now that's a man.


I'm glad you and your ex turned out Jab We Met before things got ugly. The world is a better place because of it, I'm convinced. Your cute little movie was so good, I've moved it onto my favorites shelf, right next to Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Dil Chata Hai. It deserves to be there.

Well, Kareena, you did it. You managed to change my opinion about you and give me a new movie to love, all in one shot. Thanks again for the good work-- I'll be looking forward to your next films. In the meantime, I'll be recommending this one to anyone who will listen.

Oh! And one more thing...If you didn't want Shahid, you could have just passed him along this way. Seriously.

Text © Copyright Nida Nazir 2008 Link to Home

12 comments:

Filmi Geek January 28, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Hey Nida - I don't have anything of substance to say except welcome to the happy world of Bollyblogging - keep up the good work, watch lots of films, and have fun!

Beth January 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

I have such a soft spot for Kareena. I can't wait to see this! You might try Khushi - I seem to be the only person on the planet who likes it, but I find it to be a fairly adorable rom com. Plus some really great songs.

bollywoodfoodclub January 28, 2008 at 9:39 PM  

Namaste dost! Great seeing another midwesterner blogging about Bollywood! I'm writing from Minneapolis, MN. (Sorry about the Packers last week.) Nothing like negative 20 windchill weather to create a perfect indoor climate for Hindi film watching. I saw you over at Jaman at first and was delighted to find your swell blog. Adding you to our blogroll now. I've also been bitten, and even possessed by Bollywood.

Phir Milenge!
Sita-ji

stop by www.bollywoodfoodclub.com

bollywoodfoodclub January 28, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

p.s. I'v also thought Miss Kapoor reminds me of Paris Hilton.

All the Best,
Sita-ji

Sanket Vyas January 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanket Vyas January 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

Greetings, I too never thought too much of Kareena Hilton & also thoroughly enjoyed this movie. But it was 'Chameli' & 'Omkara' that really opened my eyes to the fact that this girl could really act!

Welcome to the world of Bollywood and I have linked your blog to mine, do the same if you feel inclined to do so. Come visit & read about Bollywood while listening to some tunes from my collection.

Cheers :)

http://www.docbollywood.com/

Reema January 30, 2008 at 8:23 PM  

Same thing happened to me, JWM completely changed my mind about Kareena. Wow, she can act!

This was a great, cute, fun little movie.

Nida January 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM  

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I've mentioned my blog to some friends and family, and they've just given me this blank stare ...Its so great to make some friends that actually share in your excitement!!
Beth-Can't wait for you to see this one! I think you'll really like it:) I'll add Khushi to my list to watch!
Filmigeek, Sita-ji, Reema, Sanket.. I can't thank you enough for the link! For a new blog, that's just priceless. Thanks again!

Anonymous,  February 9, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

Hi Nida:
Sure enjoyed reading and viewing your website. You sure know your movies and go into such detail, I love it!
Thanks for sharing your gift of writing with us and I too have recently got into Bollywood movies. They are so real and entertaining and (colorful as my ex-hubby's current wife would say. She is Pakistani and loves Indian movies too.)
I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be watching these type of movies. Since I used to be married to a Pakistani guy.tee hee..But that is another story... I really think these movies have alot of plot and at times surprise twists! I can't tell you how entertaining they are. And I love seeing a movie with a "Real Story" to it and unlike American Films that have to have alot of swear words and sex in them to be considered good. Don't get me wrong I like some American movies too but many are just about nothing and I still don't know why everything has to have Christ's name used so casually and have sex in it. But I guess as they say "Sex sells".
Well for me I will take the Indian movies anytime. Thanks for sharing your blog with us. I plan on visiting again soon.

joss April 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM  

It's wonderful to discover the world of Bollywood bloggers! I have been enjoying these films pretty much on my own for the past year, and it's just great there are other intelligent people out there who are equally obsessed. And who can write!

I loved JWM too, but already liked Kareena after seeing her in Asoka. Although false eye-lashes look great on all Bollywood heroines, it is great to see someone not wearing them. Kareena looked fantastic in bodypaint and mud, in Asoka, and here looked fantastic in the guise of an ordinary girl. I really identified with her. And it wasn't just her looks that did that for me, it was her enthusiasm and exuberance ... which is what I have for Bollywood movies in the first place.

Keep writing, Nida. I'm with you.

Nida April 4, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

Joss,

Thank you so much! It's great to read positive feedback like yours. I adore writing and love Bollywood so the idea of a blog was pretty much like a dream come true for me. It's so amazing to know there are people like you who can identify with what I'm saying and are reading my material! :) As for Asoka, clearly I've GOT to get my hands on this one! You're not the first person who has recommended it to me, especially after I loved Jodhaa-Akbar so much! This will definately be on my list to watch!

Anonymous,

That is very sweet of you! And how cool is that that you're enjoying Bollywood films after being exposed to Desi culture in your marriage to your ex! My own mother enjoys them as well, she used to be married to my father (who also happens to be Pakistani) and although the cultures are different yet similar, our family migrated from present day India to present day Pakistan and therefore my mother feels like watching these films are taking her right back into her past! In a good way, though, as she absolutely loves them...

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP