Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fanaa

The fact that Fanaa tries to be romantic, suspenseful, and unique (with a bit of action thrown in)all at once will probably make you either love it or hate it.


I, of course, absolutely loved it. I realized that completely when I saw Rishi Kapoor get up and join in on a song about an ant sucking sugar, and found it endearing instead of ridiculous(I get that it's a tongue twister and not supposed to make 100% sense, but to see Rishi's character hopping around in the snow with that hat on...it just made me laugh, but in a good way).

This was my second Kajol movie, the first being Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I didn't remember liking her quite so much in that, but since viewing Fanaa I have seen three more Kajol movies and loved her in every single one. With Zooni she was more toned down than the high pitched character in KKKG, and that gave me a chance to see what she was really capable of, the natural fun loving energy she brings to all of her roles. She is now one of my favorite actresses, hands down, and I can see why she is so adored in India.


Since I loved Kajol's character from the first opening scene, I could tell there was a good chance I would really like Fanaa.

Aamir Khan's entrance, and my first experience with him, was thrilling because they coupled it with an awesome song like "Chand Sifarish". I felt like I did when I was a kid and would go see a new Disney movie, the first song introducing the main character. They kept teasing us with it by playing the opening beat again and again until we already had the tune in our heads...
Although Aamir's entrance was slick, and I could tell I was supposed to think he was "a real killer"(to quote the subtitles) in the looks department, I kept thinking that if Zooni wasn't blind he wouldn't stand a chance.(**Spoilers coming up**) But by the time we got to the second half and Aamir was the wounded soldier struggling with when to come clean with Zooni as he was falling in love with her all over again, I was melting over the guy. It must have been that bandage he had on his head for most of the second half of the film! For some strange reason, he looked good with that dumb thing on!


Since re-watching this movie with my mom, I came to appreciate Aamir even more. The man can seriously act! Can't wait to see more of his films!

Besides the performances, Fanaa has quite a unique little plot. Even if the whole action/spy story was a bit lame to you(it wasn't to me, but the scenes with the Anti-Terrorism Unit chats were boring), you can't deny that the idea of Zooni living with Rehan and not knowing his identity because she was blind when they were together is pretty darn cool. Now why couldn't I have thought of something like that?

And how about the chemistry in the movie? "Dekho Na" was one of the steamiest scenes I've ever seen, done without any kissing at all! When I saw this movie I thought Aamir and Kajol were wayy hotter than the famous Shahrukh-Kajol pairing. Since then I've perhaps changed my opinion after viewing Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, but I do think the Aamir-Kajol chemistry is different. Their chemistry is more adult, more mature sexuality while I think Shahrukh and Kajol share more of a butterfly-in-your stomach, first love kind of chemistry. And after watching their "conversation" on Fanaa's special feature DVD, I think Aamir wishes Kajol was single.


One last mentionable- "Mere Haath Mein" has to be the most beautiful song in a Bollywood movie I've come across so far. And again, due to the teaser for it in the background, by the time the song came on I felt like I already knew the tune and loved it. And by the way, Kajol's hair still looks good with snowflakes falling on it. Mine would have turned into a frizzy afro before Aamir could say, "Tere ishq mein meri jaan fanaa ho jaaye."

Text (c) 2007 Nida Nazir Bitten By Bollywood

10 comments:

Emily January 29, 2008 at 3:10 PM  

I'm so glad you like Fanaa! I loved it from the opening scene, and get so discouraged when people pick it to bits and say it's too cheesy or unbelievable or whatever.

By the way, I found your blog from a link on Carla's (filmigeek) site. Love what I've read so far!

Filmi Geek January 29, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

I'm intrigued by your perception of the Aamir-Kajol pairing as more mature than the SRK-Kajol pairing - do you think that's due to the fact that Aamir and Kajol themselves were older when they made Fanaa (most of the SRK-Kajol films predate Fanaa by quite a few years)? Or is it something about the way these roles were written - Aamir's character in particular being a darker, more damaged character than most chocolate heroes? Or is there something else still?

I am not a huge believer in "chemistry" - I think if the director and actors are doing their jobs well the audience will believe in the attraction, and a pairing is only as appealing to a particular viewer as the actors are. Having said that, I thought Aamir and Kajol - and their romance - was by far the best thing about Fanaa, deserving of a better-crafted film to showcase the pairing.

Nida January 31, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

Emily- Thanks for the compliment! I'm so glad to be making some blogging friends, nice to meet you! Fanaa bounces around on my favorites list, but its always somewhere around the top! For me, the good outweighs the bad in this one...

Nida January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

Filmigeek--Hmmm...good question...You make a really good point about chemistry...For some reason, it's been my "word of the day" ever since I fell in love with Bollywood...Truthfully, I'm not sure whether its really there or not, but I like to pretend it does and sometimes my imagination runs away with itself (as it did when I was watching Aamir and Kajol In Conversation)...In reality, you're probably dead on with your view, which would explain why I felt differently about SRK-Kajol in DDLJ as opposed to KKHH...the director portrayed the pairing differently.

To answer your question, yes,I think my comment came from them being older, although I didn't realize that completely until you asked me about it. I also think SRK-Kajol are more comfy with each other because of their working history while Aamir-Kajol seemed to have a more reserved relationship which translated onscreen (for me) as pent up lust when they "let loose" for their love scenes! But maybe that's my imagination running away from me again...
Also, I was thinking that maybe I perceived things the way I did because Aamir-Kajol had a child together in Fanaa, and after the seven years apart their characters seemed to have "grown up" a bit in the film as well...
I agree, although I loved Fanaa, bones and all, Kajol and Aamir's romance was my favorite aspect of it.

Daddy's Girl February 19, 2008 at 10:10 AM  

Really nice review. I just watched this and loved it too. I agree with you that the Aamir/Kajol chemistry was more 'grown up' and mature than the SRK/Kajol chemistry.

summer August 13, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

And Shiney made a surprise!

Extreme April 6, 2009 at 4:47 AM  

Dear Webmaster,
I want to link exchange with you. Please reply me for link exchange on luckyking05@gmail.com .
my website is

www.pic27.blogspot.com
(Indian Actress Unseen Pictures)

Anonymous,  December 12, 2011 at 2:48 AM  

cheap goose jackets sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
goose trillium parka jackets womens online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada goose freestyle vest online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Goose Chilliwack Bomber online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Mens Citadel Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Expedition Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Mens goose snow mantra parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Yorkville Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Chilliwack Parka jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Expedition Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Kensington Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Montebello Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Solaris Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK.

Anonymous,  December 12, 2011 at 2:52 AM  

cheap goose jackets sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
goose trillium parka jackets womens online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada goose freestyle vest online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Goose Chilliwack Bomber online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Mens Citadel Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Expedition Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Mens goose snow mantra parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Yorkville Parka sale online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Chilliwack Parka jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Expedition Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Kensington Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
Canada Goose Womens Montebello Parka online sale Denmark Canada, UK,
womens Goose Solaris Parka Jackets online sale Denmark Canada, UK.

Saidah Syamsul November 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM  

Agree. I randomly chose this Fanaa DVD in store and took home to play it while working on my translation job and guess what? I love,love, love it and played it like thousand time. Unbelievable, how I could miss such entertaining movie from Bollywood like this. I agree that even it's heartbreaking to say, but I have to admit that Aamir Khan-Kajol pair has displayed better chemistry than SRK-KaJOL pair. I think no matter what cost it will take, Aamir should make another project with Kajol. They two make a movie rock! I saw few movie of Aamir released after Fanaa and they are much less entertaining than Fanaa

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP